Thursday, August 22, 2024

A Conversation with Dr. Terry Alford

(Click on image to enlarge.)

On Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2024, I had a wonderful conversation with Dr. Terry Alford, author of “Prince Among Slaves: The True Story of an African Prince Sold into Slavery in the American South” (Oxford University Press, 1977). We discussed Prince Abdul Rahman Ibrahima Sori (1762-1829), who spent 40 years enslaved on a plantation in southwest Mississippi before he gained his freedom in 1828.

I was pleased to learn that Dr. Alford is from Indianola, my hometown. (I knew there was something special about him.) I think we talked more about Indianola than Prince Ibrahima. 😊

I'm working on an exciting new project related to the prince. Please stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mike Bunn to discuss Natchez and 14th colony of American Revolutionary era at Sept. 24 meeting of Natchez Historical Society

Mike Bunn, director of Historic Blakeley State Park in Spanish Fort, Ala., will give a lecture at the Tuesday, Sept. 24 meeting of the Natch...