Friday, March 16, 2018

My Visit to William Winans Middle School

Doing Community Service at Career Day

By Roscoe Barnes III, Ph.D.
Copyright (c) 2018

#CareerDay

Dr. Roscoe Barnes III speaking at William Winans Middle School.
----------------------------

I had the honor of speaking recently at a Career Day program at William Winans Middle School in Centreville, Miss. The students and I had a great time.

I participated as a representative of MTC/Wilkinson County Correctional Facility, Woodville, Miss., where I serve as chaplain.

A number of community and business leaders took part in the event, including two local judges, law enforcement officers, hospital representatives and a banking professional, among others. Each of us had nine minutes to address each class.

I spoke about my work as a prison chaplain and my years of experience as a journalist, author, and editorial cartoonist. I also mentioned my experience in the Army.

I told the students what it was like to travel the world, live in other countries, and learn other languages. The students appeared to be quite interested as they asked many questions.

I'm grateful to Dr. Stephanie Scott-Sullivan, school counselor, for inviting me to be part of this special event. I look forward to the next one.

#Mississippi

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

84th commemoration of Rhythm Night Club fire slated for Saturday, April 27

Monroe Sago is pictured with the historical  marker that tells the story of the Rhythm  Night Club Fire. Monroe and his wife, Betty Monroe, ...