Sunday, April 21, 2019

My Hemingway Paper Approved for the 17th International Hemingway Colloquium

Research offers fresh look at Hemingway's success with 'The Old Man and the Sea'

By Roscoe Barnes III, Ph.D.
Author, Off to War: Franklin Countians in WWII
Copyright (c) 2019

#Hemingway
#ErnestHemingway



It’s official! I’m going to Cuba!

I'm happy to announce my paper on Ernest Hemingway has been approved for the 17th International Hemingway Colloquium. The conference will be held June 20-23, 2019, at the Finca Vigia, Cuba. 

My paper is titled, "The Old Man and the Spree: What Two of Hemingway's Favorite Pastimes Reveal about His Later Outburst of Writing Success."

On April 16, 2019,  I received this email from Prof. Rebecca Johnston:

Hello Roscoe,

I am forwarding the email I sent out today to those accepted, I am happy to say your name was on the list.

I look forward to presenting my paper. My research focuses on Hemingway's comeback as a writer. It offers a fresh look at some of the contributing factors to his success with his final book of fiction that was published before his death. Although critics have presented a number of possible reasons for the success of The Old Man and the Sea, this paper will highlight the role of regression in his final writing spree. Specifically, it will show how his success in 1952 may have been influenced on some level by two of his favorite pastimes: boxing and fishing.

Further reading:

The End of Something Short: Hemingway’s Use of Repetition as a Closing Device in Five Short Stories. See here.

PowerPoint - The End of Something Short: Hemingway’s Use of Repetition as a Closing Device in Five Short Stories. See here.

----------------------------------

ROSCOE BARNES III, Ph.D., is a writer, chaplain, historian, and former newspaper reporter. He is the author of more than a dozen books and Gospel tracts. For more information about his work and history, see his Personal Profile here or visit his website: roscoebarnes.net. Connect with him on Twitter (@roscoebarnes3) or by email at doctorbarnes3@gmail.com or roscoebarnes3@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Smokye Joe Frank’s story published by his alma mater

  (Click on image to enlarge.) Retired Archeologist Smokye Joe Frank is featured in the Spring 2024 issue of Alumni Column, the official mag...