Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Gettysburg Times (1995): ‘Local writer has signed two book deals’

His early writings on art and World War II history



I recently came across this news clip from The Gettysburg Times (November 9, 1995). At the time, I was living in Gettysburg, Pa. and working as a reporter for The Record Herald (Waynesboro, Pa.) The report was about two books I’d written: Big Bucks from Little Sketches: Proven Ways to Earn Money with Portraits and Caricatures Using Little or No Talent (McKinley & Henson) and Off to War: Franklin Countians in World War II (White Mane Publishing). This was an important period in my development as a writer and editorial cartoonist.

Big Bucks was self-published. I had tried to sell it to traditional publishers but without any success. After a while, I decided to publish it myself. When I offered it to ICS (International Correspondence Schools), they agreed to purchase 1,000 copies a year. While promoting the book via mailorder, I learned about copywriting and soon fell in love with commercial writing. Off to War was my first book to be published by a traditional publisher. I had fun experimenting with its publicity campaign. Selling these two books allowed me to discover the world of marketing.

----------------------------------

ROSCOE BARNES III, Ph.D., is a writer, chaplain, historian, and former newspaper reporter. He is the author of more than a dozen books and Gospel tracts. For more information about his work and history, see his Personal Profile here or visit his website: 
http://www.roscoebarnes.net. Connect with him on Twitter (@roscoebarnes3) or by email: roscoebarnes3@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

84th commemoration of Rhythm Night Club fire slated for Saturday, April 27

Monroe Sago is pictured with the historical  marker that tells the story of the Rhythm  Night Club Fire. Monroe and his wife, Betty Monroe, ...