Friday, August 12, 2022

How F.F. Bosworth Prayed Before Each of His Salvation-Healing Campaigns

His handwritten prayers were found inside the pages of his Bible following his death in 1958

By Roscoe Barnes III, PhD
Author, F.F. Bosworth: The Man Behind “Christ the Healer”
Copyright © 2022
 
#FFBosworth
#TLOsborn

This photo was taken at a FGBMFI meeting in Miami, Florida. Left to right are Raymond T. Richey, Texas; F.F. Bosworth, Florida; Demos Shakarian, California. Photo: Full Gospel Men’s Voice Magazine


When F.F. Bosworth died in 1958, he left handwritten notes inside his Bible that contained the content of his prayers before each of his great salvation and healing revivals in Africa, Cuba and Japan. These prayers were presented and published by T. L. Osborn in the May 1958 issue of the Full Gospel Men’s Voice magazine.

In his article, “He Prayed Earnestly for Himself,” Osborn suggested, “Great men, who have really known God, have known the excellency of prayer.” He continued with this comment: “A man may preach eloquently, he may lecture on a sound doctrinal basis, but it is when he prays that he unveils what he really is. It is then that he reveals how intimately or ow vaguely he is actually acquainted with Deity.”

Bosworth’s prayers reveal a man of faith who looked to God for healing, guidance, compassion, and great manifestations of divine power. His prayers were infused with Scripture. Using simple, childlike petitions, he asked the Lord to reveal Himself through his preaching and through the gift of prophecy. He requested power over the forces of darkness in “every service.” He asked to bring light, inspiration, and revelation through his messages. Bosworth prayed that God would anoint his lips so that his preaching of God’s word would heal the sick and break the power of demons.

The prayers reveal a man of humility who was also confident in the faithfulness of his Father. The prayers are direct. They focus on multiples aspects of ministry and life in general.

There was, however, one request that stood out: “Lord, be the strength of my physical heart as long as you are willing to let me serve on earth.” During his final years, Bosworth suffered from diabetes and congestive heart failure. One wonders if this prayer referred to his medical condition at the time.

Osborn closed his article with this beautiful statement: “These prayers of F.F. Bosworth reveal the most sublime acquaintance and communion which existed between this patriarch of faith and the Father.”

NOTE: This article and other issues of Full Gospel Men's Voice magazine can be viewed at ORU's Digital Showcase available here or by following this link: https://digitalshowcase.oru.edu/voice/

------------------

The Life of F.F. Bosworth and His Ministry
Will Count for Time and Eternity, Because

He Prayed Earnestly for Himself!
 
It is when men and women pray that they reveal what they know, or do not know, about faith.

By T.L. Osborn
 
The most sacred chapter, perhaps, in the entire Bible, is the Seventh Chapter of John. It is the prayer and communion which flowed from the heart of Christ to the heart of the Father, during the Last Supper.

Previous to this, He had given us what is known as “The Lord’s Prayer.” No one has been able to unfold the depths and riches of this short prayer.
 
One of the most sacred themes in Scripture is the subject of prayer and the prayers therein.
 
Great men, who have really known God, have known the excellency of prayer.
 
A man may preach eloquently, he may lecture on a sound doctrinal basis, but it is when he prays that he unveils what he really is. It is then that he reveals how intimately or how vaguely he is actually acquainted with Deity.
 
The following prayers were found in the Bible of F.F. Bosworth, after he recently passed to his reward. They were carefully written in his own handwriting, with this notation accompanying them: “My wholehearted prayers for myself during the day, before every night service while in Africa, Cuba and Japan. F.F. Bosworth.”
 
*          *          *

Do “abundantly above all I ask or think” according to the power that worketh in me.
 
Let Thy glory be seen in me while I preach.

Fill me with Thy compassion for the people while I preach to them.

Work in me “to will and to do Thy good pleasure.”
 
Make me Thy voice – Thy transmitter to the people.

Create in me the suitable emotions which the truth I preach deserves.
 
Make me “more than a conqueror” in all things while I am preaching.
 
Make me strong in the grace that is Christ while I am preaching.
 
While I am preaching, manifest the gift of prophecy.
 
Let my preaching be “by the glory of the Father” and “in the likeness of His resurrection.”
 
Give me “power over all the power of the enemy” in every service.

Exhibit in me the virtues of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light.
 
Make known to me and through me “what is the riches of the glory of the mystery” – “Christ in me the hope of glory.”
 
May my preaching be “in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.”

Lord, be the strength of my physical heart a long as you are willing to let me serve on earth.

Quicken my mortal flesh every day.

In my weakness let Thy strength be made perfect.
 
Manifest in me and through me the quietness, the unshaken faith, and the deep peace that pervades the Godhead.

Fill me with the love that “believeth all things.”

Give me the Spirit to worship while I am preaching.

Give me new and direct inspiration and revelation while I am preaching.
 
Father, let Thy Word in my lips become Your living, life-saving, faith-producing, inspiring voice.

Let Thy Word in my lips heal the sick and break the power of demons.
 
Let it be Thy Word in my mouth that “cannot return unto Thee void.”
 
Lord help me to be under Thy full control tonight.

Let there flow from me “rivers of living water.”
 
Make me as much like Jesus as possible.

Give me the joy of descending thoughts – the thoughts poured in from above. Let heaven light up my lips.
 
Tonight exhibit not only Thy goodness but Thy greatness.

 Let Thy infinite mind think through my finite mind and cause me to share the ideas and powers which rule the universe. Harmonize my life with Thy mind and Thy will.
 
*          *          *
 
These prayers of F.F. Bosworth reveal the most sublime acquaintance and communion which existed between this patriarch of faith and the Father. They are brought forth from his Bible and sent forth to the world in the belief that they will profoundly influence the prayers and lives of multitudes through the earth!
 
 

Related article:

T.L. Osborn's Farewell to His Mentor, F.F. Bosworth: Tribute published in March 1958 issue of 'Full Gospel Men’s Voice' magazine. See here.
 
-------------------------
 
Note: My book, F.F. Bosworth: The Man Behind "Christ the Healer," can be purchased here with a 25% discount. Use the discount code (all caps): BOSWORTH25.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Want to know more
about F.F. Bosworth?

Follow the "Bosworth Matters" blog!

Start here:
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
For more information:
Visit the F.F. Bosworth page here. Questions about the research and commentary on F.F. Bosworth may be directed to Roscoe Barnes III, Ph.D., via email at doctorbarnes3@gmail.com or roscoebarnes3@yahoo.com. For updates on F.F. Bosworth history, simply follow this blog or @bosworth_fred and @Roscoebarnes3 on Twitter. #ChristTheHealer #BosworthMention #BosworthMatters

No comments:

Post a Comment

84th commemoration of Rhythm Night Club fire slated for Saturday, April 27

Monroe Sago is pictured with the historical  marker that tells the story of the Rhythm  Night Club Fire. Monroe and his wife, Betty Monroe, ...