After 45 years, Del Loy returns to the canvas
By Roscoe Barnes III
Natchez, MS, USA / ListenUpYall.com
Oct 6, 2026 | 12:37 PM
Natchez, MS, USA / ListenUpYall.com
Oct 6, 2026 | 12:37 PM

Artist Del Loy works on an oil painting in his studio. Loy's work blends elements of impressionism and realism. Photo courtesy of Del Loy. (Click on image to enlarge.)
NATCHEZ, Miss. -- Del Loy stopped painting in his early
20s to focus on his family and his career. Forty-five years later, he felt an
urge he could not ignore: an unmistakable and unrelenting desire to pick up a
brush and start painting again.
Since following that urge, he has found recognition and a
ready audience for his work, while rediscovering a joy he once knew.
“A blank canvas invites me to explore,” Loy says. “While
a sketch, photo reference, or live setting offers inspiring motifs, expressing
emotion with pigment and texture is what drives my art.
“Whether building layers over time or getting it down all
at once, painting is about interpreting the subject through composition and
color. The goal is to inspire viewers to share my vision and enjoy the
experience.”
Loy is ArtsNatchez Gallery's Artist of the Month for
October. His paintings will be on display Saturday, October 10, at the gallery
at 425 Main St., with a reception from 5 to 7 p.m. Refreshments will be served,
and the event is open to the public.
Loy is an oil painter whose work blends elements of
impressionism and realism. “I primarily do landscapes,” he says. “I do fine
art. I enjoy doing Mississippi and Texas landscapes.”
Loy’s work as an impressionist is inspired in part by
Claude Monet, whose image – and quotes – appear on the Del Loy Studio Facebook
page.
On Saturday, visitors will see a selection of Loy’s work,
including paintings of the Natchez Bluff with a steamboat in the background and
various Mississippi landscapes. His centerpiece will be a large 36-by-52
painting of Stanton Hall, created specifically for this event.
Early career
Loy was born in Malvern, Arkansas, near Hot Springs. His
family settled in Monroe, Louisiana, for a number of years before they moved to
Natchez. Loy was in the 11th grade when he arrived in Natchez.
Loy says he grew up working in grocery stores. His father
owned the Lewis’ Market chain, which grew from four stores in the Miss-Lou area
to seven during his tenure.
After graduating from Natchez High School in 1971, Loy
attended Gulf Coast Bible College in Texas, now Mid-America Christian
University in Oklahoma City, where he earned a bachelor's degree in Christian
ministry.
After completing his studies, Loy entered the ministry as
a pastor. He served in California and Texas. He also engaged in church
planting.
“I ministered for about 10 years and moved back to
Natchez,” he says. “I went back to work for the family supermarket business and
retired in 2020. Then I picked up my brushes again after 45 years.”
He and his wife Renae moved to Brookhaven five years ago
to be near their son and family. Loy paints from his studio behind his
home.
Brown paper sacks
Loy is a self-taught artist who began drawing at an early
age. “As a kid, I drew all the time on anything I could get my hands on,” Loy
recalls. He recalls drawing on the backside of brown paper grocery bags. While
in high school, he served as president of the art club.
Loy was 20 when he completed his first oil painting, and
he still remembers the subject: a magnolia blossom. He next painted a portrait
of his sister, Rhoda Gatson.
He painted for two or three years and then stopped.
“We started having kids and I put it aside. Family and
career took over,” he says. But even then, he never lost interest in the arts.
“When I was not painting, I was going to museums and reading books about art,”
he says.
When asked what he likes most about painting, he says it
comes from the soul.
“It’s something I should have done all my life. It’s
something I feel compelled to do,” he says. “I spend 4 to 6 hours a day in my
studio painting.”
Loy is a productive artist who skillfully juggles
multiple projects at any given time. He explains how this is done in a note he
shared on Facebook: “I work on up to five pieces at a time. While paint dries
on one, I'll work on another.”
Awards and recognition
Since he returned to painting, Loy’s work has generated
high praise. “The reaction from audiences has been quite good,” he says, noting
he has sold several paintings since July and has sold many more through
Facebook.
Loy is a member of the South Mississippi Art Association.
In 2025, his entries in SMAA juried shows won two first place prizes in oil
painting and in watercolor, one second place, and one honorable mention.
He held a solo exhibition of thirty-seven paintings at
the Lucile Parker Galleria on the William Carey University campus in Hattiesburg
in the fall of 2025 and will be the featured solo artist in Hattiesburg’s
Festival South in 2027.
Loy says he’s pleased with his progress. Now in his early
70s, he hasn’t slowed down. In fact, his outlook may be summed up in a meme he
posted on his Facebook page, which states, “Never underestimate an old man who
still paints in his 70s.”
The quote makes Loy chuckle.
ArtsNatchez Gallery is open daily at 10 a.m. For more
information, call 601-442-0043.
No comments:
Post a Comment